Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Paintings by Monet, Cards by Me


I had some note cards with Monet's paintings on them and I wanted to do something with them to make them mine, but without detracting from Monet.

The first card is his painting "Haystacks of Giverny".

I printed on vellum a quote by Monet "Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love." and then put it over the painting. I debated whether or not it would obscure the painting too much, and finally decided it looked good.



The second card is one of his Japanese Bridge Over Pond series. I had to cut some off of the left side to fit the square card. I punched the smaller SU square punch and then the larger one to leave a thin frame around a square of the water lilies. I matted the whole thing on a pink that brought out the color and used pop dots on the small square to add some dimensionality.



The third is one of his Poplar paintings. I stamped Get Well Soon on vellum and put it in the bottom corner. The stamp is a SU stamp, but I don't remember what the set is called. The picture looks like there is a salmon mat and then a purple, but that is a problem with the scan; there isn't any purple in it.



One card is one of a sailboat in Argenteuil. I used the SU scalloped oval to punch out the people on the boat and matted the image on a blue that went well with the boat. I then put the punched piece on pop dots for dimensionality.












1 comment: